Sunday, January 22, 2017

My first march #WomensMarch2017

'Being a woman doesn't adversely affect my life nearly as much as being a person of color.'


THIS is why I participated in the women's march yesterday. I'm not the nanny, I'm not the cleaning lady, and my grandpa was not a rapist or murderer - he dedicated his life in the US serving the public school system with his sweat, love, and soul! I appreciated seeing the diversity yesterday of people who may not understand what I feel because they don't have my experiences, but they were there because they acknowledge that my experiences are real. I do my best to laugh away those disheartening circumstances, but acknowledging the hurt of them is so freeing! I just want to make sure you all know that the march was not violent, was not angry, was not just pro-choice, anti-abortion, pro-LGBT, or anti-trump (& yes, I saw pro-life and pro-Christian signs, there were even men in maga hats). It was a unity march and pro-human, and it was beautiful. People were standing up for issues that PERSONALLY affect them - be that race, human-trafficking, education, abuse, their lifestyle, their choice, etc. If you've never felt the need to participate in something like this, then consider yourself blessed! This means you don't readily feel judged or uncomfortable in your skin, with your partner in life, with the religion you choose, or with your life choices; or you may just handle these situations differently as I have for so many years. It opened my eyes to see that what we all want is to acknowledge the wrong and make the change toward peace for all. I am thankful that my family was well, healthy, and prosperous under the last administration and my hope and prayer is that this next presidential term will be full of success as well. #American 🇺🇸

No comments:

Post a Comment